Where can I live in my tiny?
Many people are interested in living tiny but aren’t sure where they can legally park a tiny home. A lot of places around America are changing their local laws to be more accommodating of tiny homes. Below we provide a detailed list of cities, counties, and areas where tiny homes are allowed.
Three main options:
1. Our tinies are also classified as moveable ADUs, making them legal to park in backyards in most of California’s biggest cities (along with other areas across the US)
2. Many cities and counties also have exceptions for elderly relatives living on your property, in an approved tiny
3. Since our tinies are RV certified you can also park and live in them at RV parks or tiny house communities
1. Fully legal permanent locations:
- Los Angeles, CA – See the ordinance here
- San Diego, CA – See the ordinance here
- Santa Clara County (Silicon Valley) – approved an ordinance modeled after the LA Ordinance, and it is now law.
- San Jose, CA (Silicon Valley) – See the ordinance here
- San Luis Obispo, CA – See the ordinance here
- Fresno, CA – See the ordinance here
- Humboldt County, CA – See the rules here
- Placer County, CA – See the draft ordinance here
- California City, CA – permits both movable tiny homes.
- Santa Cruz County, CA – recently brought back ordinances that legalize movable tiny homes
- Vallejo, CA – working on a tiny home ordinance
- Boulder, CO – see the regulations here
- Rifle, CO – working to regulations to allow tiny homes
- Portland, OR – see the code here
- Sussex County, DE – working to pass regulations to allow tiny homes
- Brevard County, FL – see the code here
- Moscow City, ID – see the updated regulations here
- Town of Great Barrington, MA – see information on the regulations
- Philadelphia, PA – see the ordinance here
- City and Borough of Sitka, Alaska – See the ordinance here
2. Counties in California that allow for Elder Care exemption for Tiny Houses on Wheels:
- Alameda County
- Contra Costa County
- Mendocino County
- Napa County
- Sacramento County
- Sonoma County
3. Since our tinies are RV certified you can also park and live in them at RV parks or tiny house communities:
- Check out the list of RV parks you can park your tiny at
*This is not intended to be legal advice. This is what we have noticed and were told by many people all over the USA. Do not make a buying decision based solely on the following, you must do your own due diligence for your city, state, and county.